- This event has passed.
Literally Experience France! with Rainy Day Books
June 25 - July 10
Literally Experience France in 2019!
The sixth Literary-inspired Tour in Partnership with Rainy Day Books.
This is the 6th custom literary-themed tour designed by Lisa Ball Travel Design in partnership with dynamic independent bookseller Rainy Day Books!
Tour Dates: June 25 – July 9, 2019
Projected Base Tour Cost (with airfare): $6,800 to $7,700 per person based on double occupancy.
Single Supplement: $1,400.
Tour Dates: June 25 – July 9, 2019
Tuesday, June 25: Depart from the U.S.
The tour includes round-trip airfare from Kansas City or from your home airport on Delta Airlines. Lisa Ball Travel Design can route tour participants from their home airport to meet up with the Kansas City group at the gateway U.S. city or fly direct to France. *Please note: extra airfare charges may apply. Participants may also use their own airline or credit card points for air travel; LBTD will quote the land only tour cost.
Wednesday, June 26: Bienvenue en France!
Arrive at Paris Charles de Gaulle; journey to Normandy in comfortable private coach bus.
From June 26 to June 29 in Normandy:
Rich in culture and history and historic events that resonate with Americans; from medieval villages to green rolling countryside that stretch to beaches and dramatic coastlines ~ there are many wonderful things to see and do in Normandy:
- Wander the medieval streets of Rouen to see the magnificent Gothic cathedral with its splendid exterior depicted by Claude Monet in a famous series of paintings. Rouen is also the location where Joan of Arc was brought to trial, judged and martyred. Today there is a contemporary church dedicated to her. Rouen was a favorite haunt of Victor Hugo as well!
- With its delightful harbor also depicted by Monet, Honfleur is considered one of the most charming towns in Normandy. We’ll see the half-timbered buildings and the pretty marina filled today with restaurants and the Church of Sainte-Catherine, built by local shipwrights after the Hundred Years’ War.
- A day immersed in WWII sites: 2019 is the 75th anniversary of D-Day (June 6, 1944) and LBTD has created a one day program giving you insight into this crucial event in WWII. In the company of a wonderful local guide and historian, Lena, we visit the Overlord Museum, Omaha Beach and its monuments to the fallen, Pointe du Hoc and the Normandy American Cemetery with views to Omaha Beach.
- The historic town of Bayeux is home to the masterpiece of medieval art known as the Bayeux Tapestry. This exquisite 70-meter long piece is a historical document that tells the story of the conquest of England in 1066 by William the Conqueror.
- An important medieval pilgrimage destination, Mont-Saint-Michel is one of the most well-known and spectacular sights in France. Today, the Abbey of Saint-Michel is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and people today are drawn to its ancient spires across the Bay of Saint-Michel. Our guide friend, Lena comes with us to tell us its history and how it this area is the setting of many novels and mysteries.
- Being rich in farmland, we will take time to explore the country roads of Normandy on our own Food and Cider Trail Tour. We’ll make stops at farms that produce the delicious camembert cheese and taste apple ciders and the apple brandy known by the region’s name: Calvados.
- On the day we depart from Normandy, we journey to Giverny to see the charming home of Impressionist Claude Monet and see his glorious gardens. You’ll see the Water Gardens and the Japanese bridge overlooking the water lily pond that inspired his Water Lilies paintings. Our visit here will be enhanced by a tour of the gardens led by a member of the Claude Monet Foundation and Lunch at one of the delightful cafes.
Accommodations in Normandy: 4 Nights at Ferme de la Ranconniere in the village of Crépon, an attractive farmhouse inn with 26 bedrooms combining rustic French country style with comfortable surroundings and nice amenities. The property has a beautiful restaurant where we will dine each night on Normandy specialties. Breakfast and Dinner included.
June 30 to July 3 in Paris!
The City of Lights and the chance to discover France’s fantastic capital city and home to great authors of the past and present! In Paris, we will likely have more than one Exclusive Author Event!
While in Paris together we have the following experiences:
- Literary Tour with a great local guide exploring the areas where Hemingway and the Fitzgerald’s lived; pay homage to the Shakespeare and Company bookstore (recreated in the same location and going strong with a delightful café); and see other historic sites featured in countless novels set in Paris.
- Paris Pass: Museums, attractions and a Métro Card – the key to unlocking most of the iconic museums in Paris and bypassing the long wait lines; everyone will receive a 48-hour card to visit your bucket list of museums and attractions.
- One evening we will sail on the River Seine on a romantic Dinner Cruise!
- Then the highlight of Paris: an exclusive after-hours tour of the Palace of Versailles! This one-of-a-kind experience will take us through the halls of the Palace and the King’s apartments in the company of a guide when no other tourists are about! While at Versailles, you will have a chance to see the manicured gardens and gorgeous fountains and we’ll have afternoon tea together before our magnificent private tour.
- LBTD will offer a few optional tours while we are based in Paris: specialty tours of key neighborhoods like Montmartre or Le Marais; a Highlights Tour of the Louvre; and a fun Food Tour of Paris! (And, maybe an evening at Le Moulin Rouge!)
Accommodations in Paris: 4 nights at the 4-star luxury Hotel de Varenne located in the 7tharrondissement, the heart of Paris. This hotel is close to several important museums: Les Invalides, the Musée Rodin and Musée d’Orsay as well as many cafes, candlelit bistros and boutiques. The rooms here are lovely and traditional and the plentiful breakfast buffet is included each morning.
July 4 to July 7 in Provence!
We will take the high-speed train from Paris Gare Lyon to reach Avignon the capital of Provence. Once in Provence, we will explore this divine area of France resplendent with vineyards to ancient Roman ruins; we’ll walk in the footsteps of other great artists such as Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Cézanne and see the region that drew authors like Peter Mayle who wrote about the traditions and his humorous insights of Provence!
Together while in Provence we will see:
- The Lavender Fields! We are going at a prime time to see the fragrant fields and we’ll also visit a lavender distillery! A guide friend of LBTD, Claire, will accompany us and show us these photographic wonders!
- Dotted throughout Provence are superb remnants of the Roman Empire including Pont du Gard, the vast Roman aqueduct and today a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- A wonderful visit to a local vineyard, Chateau Val Joanis with a tour and tasting and Lunch; this is one spot in the Luberon that also has a lovely terraced garden!
- In the steps of Van Gogh in Arles and a visit to Cézanne’s studio in Aix-en-Provence
- Visits to quaint Provencal villages on market days
- Taking time for an in-depth tour and visit to Avignon to see the Papal Palace
Accommodations in Provence: 4 Nights at Chateau de Montcaud, a recently renovated 4-star hotel with a lovely garden and bistro restaurant with terrace. This hotel, formerly a silk merchant’s country home will be an ideal location for our stay in Provence. Wonderfully located near many of the villages and surrounded by gardens and parkland, it has a total of 30 rooms. Breakfast and Dinner included.
Monday, July 8:
We depart Provence and take a brief dip into France’s famed Côte d’Azur! We drive to the coast and through Nice to Eze, the cliff top village overlooking the glittering Mediterranean Sea.
We will stay our final night at Hôtel Les Terrasses D’Eze, a lovely and comfortable 4-star hotel boasting outstanding views. Here, you can relax on the terrace and soak up these views and in the evening we will have our Celebration Dinner!
Tuesday, July 9: Departure Day
We will return to the U.S. from the Nice Côte d’Azur International Airport via Delta Airlines.
Included in the trip:
- Round-trip airfare from Kansas City to Paris, France and then from Nice, France to Kansas City. If you live in a different city, airfare can be arranged from and returning to your home airport. Please note: additional airfare costs may apply.
- Deluxe and special accommodations: 4 nights in Normandy; 4 nights in Paris; 4 nights in Provence; and 1 night in Eze, Côte d’Azur
- Fabulous Exclusive Author Events throughout the tour and specialty tours highlighting France’s great authors of the past!
- Sight-seeing opportunities to iconic places and monuments: Normandy: Rouen, Honfleur, WWII D-Day sites and the Overlord Museum; Mont-Saint-Michel; Normandy Food & Cider Trail; Bayeux Museum; and Monet’s Home & Gardens in Giverny; Paris: Literary Tour; one 48-hour Paris Pass per person; exclusive after-hours tour at the Palace of Versailles and a River Seine Dinner Cruise; Provence: visits to villages on market days; Lavender Fields and a Lavender Distillery; Pont du Gard; visit to Cézanne’s studio in Aix and where Van Gogh worked in Arles; Papal Palace in Avignon; and a tour, tasting and lunch at Chateau Val Joanis
- Ground Transportation included using private coach bus companies and the high-speed train from Paris to Avignon
- Meals: Breakfasts at all hotels; meals on board the transatlantic flights; Dinners included at the Normandy and Provence hotels; Dinner Cruise in Paris; Celebration Dinner in Eze; Lunches in Giverny and at Chateau Val Joanis and Afternoon Tea at Versailles – at least 29 meals included!
- Porterage at the hotels; taxes and service pertaining to the flights, hotels and group meals; gratuities for coach drivers and tour guides are all included in the base tour cost.
Projected Base Tour Cost:
$6,800 to $7,700 per person based on double occupancy. Single supplement cost: $1,400
**Cost will vary based on airfare, which is projected on fares to/from Kansas City. Flights from other U.S. cities may affect the cost. Single occupancy rates are available. Final tour cost will be set once the airfare cost is determined.
A deposit of $500 per person will secure your participation in this exciting tour. The deposit will go toward the base tour costs
Monthly payments will begin November 2018 through the final payment on April 1, 2019:
November 1, 2018: $1,250
December 1, 2018: $1,250
January 1, 2019: $1,250
February 1, 2019: $1,250
March 1, 2019: $1,250
April 1, 2019: $1,250 + any other costs owed
This is an inclusive tour though LBTD will offer several optional tours while we are based in Paris. These tours will be made available soon and will include some specialty walking tours of neighborhoods, inside museums and a fun Paris Food Tour.
Lisa Ball Travel Design takes personal checks made out to Lisa Ball Travel Design and mailed to:
5400 Johnson Drive, Suite 246
Mission, KS 66205
Or, you can make payments using VISA, MasterCard or American Express via PayPal through the Lisa Ball Travel Design website: www.LisaBallTravelDesign.com and click on the Pay Now button. *Please note: PayPal charges a 3% transaction fee so you must increase your payment amount manually by 3% to cover this fee.
Airfare Deviation Fees and Departure from other U.S. Cities:
If you plan on going early or staying longer, please note there is an additional $50 per person deviation fee. This cost is due to the extra time involved in working out individual travel arrangements. If you live in another city other than Kansas City, the tour director can arrange for you to meet the group at the gateway U.S. city or arrange a direct air schedule to our destination cities; additional costs from the airline may apply. *Please tell LBTD as soon as possible if you plan on deviating or wish to depart from a different U.S. city
Please note: The tour cost does not include travel insurance as this cost is based on the traveler’s age. If you have a pre-existing health condition and you wish to obtain travel insurance, you must do so within two weeks of paying your deposit to LBTD. LBTD’s airfare expert, Deborah Mason is authorized to sell Travel Guard; her phone number is 816-453-7062. This is one source of reputable travel insurance. AAA Travel also sells travel insurance through Allianz.
If you must cancel your participation with this tour please note March 1, 2019 is the tour cut-off date. Canceling before March 1, 2019, LBTD will refund your deposit and any monies you have paid prior to this date. Canceling on March 1, 2019 or after, there is no refund. If you cancel the tour and you have purchased travel insurance, LBTD will work with your insurance company to provide the necessary paperwork so you can receive a reimbursement from the insurance company. Due to their specialty nature, there can be no refunds on Optional Tours.
All participants in this tour must fill out a Passport Information document; complete the Personal ID form giving LBTD known information on your basic health condition, any known allergies, food/diet restrictions and your emergency contacts; and sign and date the Tour Waiver form. These documents will be mailed or emailed to you at sign-up.
Needed Documents to Travel:
A valid U.S. Passport; please check your passport expiration date. If you need to renew, you can do this online at travel.state.gov.
To sign up for the Literally France Tour or if you have questions, please contact Lisa Ball of Lisa Ball Travel Design by email or phone: